When I try to write about heavy stuff, the results usually read like an over-the-top soap opera script. Unless I overcompensate, in which case the results read like a bad stand-up comic routine.
It is for that reason that my blog is largely silent on matters that spend much time in my thoughts. I figure if I can't make my words reflect my feelings, then it's better to say nothing.
But two things happened this summer that I can't leave unmentioned.
In June a precious, old friend lost a sister too young. Not having sisters, I've always been a fascinated observer of the relationship my daughters have with each other. The thought of either of them without the other one in her life breaks my heart for my friend.
In July, we said good-bye to my father-in-law, and my husband began adjusting to a parentless life, becoming acquainted with terms like "executor" and "probate", while I alternated "being there for him" and "giving him space", and felt hopelessly inadequate at both.
And that's all I can say about that.
On a lighter note, it's also been a summer of firsts.
Here are a few things that until this summer, had never happened here.
*Peanut jumped off the diving board.
*I danced with a snake in my kitchen.
*Sissy discovered Trixie Belden.
*We watched the Sound of Music.
* It rained in our living room.
* We took a daytrip with the kids - hiking and a picnic in the mountains of western North Carolina. It was the most perfect day of the whole summer.
*I taught a friend how to make a skirt.
This also goes on the list of Things I Never Thought I'd Do, right after *Made a skirt.
*Sissy and Peanut were introduced to the music of Michael Jackson.
* I pulled a chain in my hall closet and there was light.
This is the one that almost makes me weep with happiness. After twenty-two YEARS of feeling around in the dark for sheets and band-aids, I can see inside my closet!
Summer is not over yet, but school is underway and a busy schedule looms ahead.
Next week Sissy turns ten (sigh). But she still gives me hugs for no reason.
And Peanut has the most endearing gap in her teeth, that I know won't be there in three months, but for now, I'm eating up her gummy smile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment