Sunday, December 27, 2009

These Short People Crack Me Up

"Mommy, who is Mother Nature?," inquired Peanut as she and her sister were eating luch today.  I don't know what it is about lunchtime that makes conversations more interesting.

"Hmm? Oh.  Well.... there is no Mother Nature.  There's, you know .... God.  He makes the sunshine and the snow and the rain and all the other things people say Mother Nature is responsible for."

"Then why do people talk about Mother Nature?", she wondered.

"It's just something people say I guess .... I don't know .... maybe some people believe there really is a Mother Nature".

"Like who?",  she demanded to know.

Came the dismissive reply from her sister across the table:   "Probably  the Catholics ".

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love it!

Anonymous said...

It's rather sad that you teach your children that it's 'cute' to make entirely untrue slur's about other's beliefs. This wasn't harmful in itself, but as she grows up she might start comparing Catholics with Pagans, who truly do believe in 'mother nature', I just fail to see what's so 'cute' in this. You should have corrected her by saying something along the lines of 'No, they believe in the same God as us, just in a different manner'. You could even have turned it into a "learning" moment and told her about the Pagans of Ireland, before St. Patrick (Who is ever so ironically Catholic) converted them.