With cold and flu season looming ahead, and having already nursed a couple of illnesses in the house this fall, I'm thinking we should get our flu shots pretty soon.
I always chose not to vaccinate the girls against the flu. And then in February of 2005 they both got the flu. Never before or since, have I seen them so sick. They literally laid around like rag dolls for two weeks and it was a month before they were back to 100%. I'm a mother with quite a few years of experience nursing sick children under her belt. I also happen to have a nursing license. I don't worry unnecessarily over their illnesses. But I have to say, when both the girls had the flu, I worried.
I didn't want them to ever get that sick again, and while there are no guarantees, the flu vaccine does offer some protection.
So the girls have received flu shots for two years in a row now and I guess we'll go pretty soon to get this years' round. I get vaccinated with them because :
1. After seeing them so sick, I can't imagine having the flu myself and having a family or a house left when I recovered.
2. They like seeing Mommy get a shot. I think they feel some kind of justice is being done when they see that needle plunge into my arm. At least that's what I gather by the rapt expression on their faces .
So do you vaccinate your kids against the flu? What about yourself?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Hee hee! Kids who enjoy watching their mom go through the pain... I'm sure it helps them see you do it bravely. (=
I've had flu shots a few times... during pregnancy, and Green Bean had them last year because of his doctor's recommendation. I don't feel a lot of motivation to get them done unless someone's pushing me. I guess I figure we can handle a fever for a day or two if it comes to us. I've NEVER dealt with a two week to a month version. That story makes me reconsider my relaxed attitude about it!
When my kids were little, I didn't get them the flu shot -- it just wasn't talked about then like it is now. Thankfully, they didn't get the flu. I never get it myself -- so far, our family hasn't gotten the flu. I guess if we get it, then I'll feel the need to get the flu shot.
We do not get flu shots. We found out when living in Okinawa the way flu shots are created and work by a doc. Basically you are getting last years strain of flu in your flu shot instead of this years. That's why you can still catch the flu..
Hmmmm, I always understood that the flu vaccine was redeveloped every year to vaccinate against the current strain of flu... thought that was the reason for the wait for the vaccines to arrive in many offices. I'll have to research it further.
Hmmmm, I always understood that the flu vaccine was redeveloped every year to vaccinate against the current strain of flu... thought that was the reason for the wait for the vaccines to arrive in many offices. I'll have to research it further.
Post a Comment