Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Absent-Minded Tooth Fairy

OK today along with Mother's Day well-wishes, I deserve the What Kind of Mother Are You Anyway?? Award. Here's how it went down. Just before bedtime last night, Sissy lost a tooth. Although I've now lost count of how many teeth she has lost, this one has enjoyed the limelight around here longer than it's predecessors because, although it was loose enough to pull several weeks ago, Sissy would not let any one near it. She would wiggle it with her tongue from time to time and as it got looser it actually turned sideways. We wondered why on earth it didn't fall out when she was chewing her food, until she told us she was only chewing with her back teeth. Silly us. Still, it was only a matter of time, and we were always mindful it would happen any day now. In a mildly amusing way, it was not unlike the last days of a pregnancy. So when it finally happened last night, after the initial excitement and congratulations we observed the obligatory Rites of the Emancipated Tooth (we put it in a ziplock bag under her pillow) and Sissy went to bed, with dreams of paper money dancing in her head. I reminded myself to sneak back in after she went to sleep to leave Tooth Fairy money.


Fast forward to 8:00 this morning. My daughter shuffles sleepily out of her bedroom. She's crying and holding out a ziplock bag that contains one tooth and NO money. "Look Mommy, she didn't come! ". AAAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH. I forgot to be the Tooth Fairy. Who DOES that? Thinking quickly, and feeling very much like the Grinch trying to explain himself to Cindy Lou Who, I said something about the Tooth Fairy running late sometimes, kind of like the mailman. She bought it, and while she was eating breakfast I did the deed. I should add that my husband who is usually much better at remembering these things, also forgot. Another sign we're not getting any younger. Maybe I should call myself the Aging Tooth Fairy.

No comments: