1. We now have sculptures. Big, outdoor ones in the downtown area. We noticed the first one on the way to ballet class last week. It was maybe twenty feet tall, metal and glass, sort of abstract in appearance. I swear I felt smarter just looking at it. I opened my mouth and uttered these profound words: "Ooooooh, look at that!" Peanut thought it looked like a guitar, and I agreed .
We found another one outside the library . A huge cast of a man from the shoulders up , it appeared he was rising up out of the ground. Something resembling half a wagon wheel stuck out of his head. We watched somebody with a crumpled up bag in her hand walk up to it and try to pull on the wagon wheel. You could kind of see why. Anyway there was a newspaper article about the sculptures a few days later. They're part of an effort to revitalize downtown which I would love to see happen. There are supposed to be a total of eleven sculptures when they're finished. The whole thing feels very sophisticated and big-city. I guess looking at them didn't really make me smarter though. The one Peanut and I thought looked like a guitar is called "The Four Elements".
2. We have a new playground. It was designed especially to accomodate children with handicaps and is fun for everybody. We went there today. It's the coolest playground in this area by far. There is a ton of play equipment, climbing structures, and other activities. There's a creek. There's beautifully natural looking landscaping. There's a shaded walking trail around the whole thing with references to The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe at stations all along the way. There's even a Stone Table. With benches. When I saw this, I practically jumped up and down. "Girls" ! I said, "Oh my gosh, girls we can bring a picnic and EAT at the Stone Table like the one in Narnia"! We kept walking and at the next sign was another Stone Table, this one with a big 'crack' down the center. Now I really DID jump up and down. The girls were politely interested but they really wanted to go back and play so we did.
So there you have it, two reasons to be excited about living here. Yee-ha!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment