OK. I've put a lot of time and effort into perusing the blogs of, and connecting with several Presbyterian deep thinker-types in the hopes that my IQ will spike a little. At the very least I was hoping I might SEEM smarter than I actually am, if only by association. I am now about to risk losing all the intellectual networking for which I have worked so hard -- but I am nothing if I'm not truthful. So here it is.
My daughters read Junie B. Jones. Every book in the series that they can get their hands on. They're crazy about her. I don't remember how it started, really. At the library I imagine. The girls are devious about waiting until my arms are aching from the weight of REAL books I'm carrying around, and then flashing the Berenstein Bears or Arthur in front of me while talking simultaneously (they plan it in advance, I know they do). And I.... well, I'm weak.
So I'm pretty sure that's how Junie B. found her way to our house. Then in no time I had a couple of diehard fans. They discuss her books with each other, they pretend to be her, they write their own little "books" after the style of her (shudder). If the interest of one daughter starts to die down, the other will fuel it once again into a raging inferno, and vice versa.
There. It's out. I feel a little better now. Only please don't hold it against me. They read and are read lots of stuff that isn't "twaddle." Look at my book list on the right. We read C.S. Lewis for crying out loud. Sometimes I even use a British accent when I read Narnia to them. Doesn't that count for something?!?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Ok, I am going to show my age now. Who is Junie B. Jones? My kids are 20 and 25, so maybe it is something that wasn't around when they were little? You really have my curiosity up now and I think I'll be making a trip to the children's section next library trip!
Junie B. is the main character in a series of children' books. The books are written from her point-of-view and are well-known for poor grammar and spelling (because a first-grader is narrating). Junie B. also uses words we don't use around here like 'stupid'. I gripe in my post, but if I felt like it was worth the Revolutionary War I would cause, I would just say 'no more Junie B.'
But since I already read to them and require them to read a primary diet of good books, the Junie B. books are just a small part of what they read. I just like to gripe. What bothers me more than anything is that there are so many of them (something like 25). If it were one book, the novelty would have worn off a long time ago.
I'm finding that you can often gauge the quality of a children' book by the number of books in the series. The higher the number, the lower the quality.
If you say anything with a British accent, you ALWAYS sound smarter!!
Just ask Hyacinth Bucket...I mean "Bouquet"! (British show: Keeping Up Appearances)
That's true if you can pull it off , but I'm afraid this Tennessee girl's British accent has C.S. Lewis rolling over in HIS grave!
my son LOVES Junie B!
God bless,
Sallie
Post a Comment