The girls are taking two afternoon classes each at a university model school which meets on Tues. and Thurs. They both take Science , Peanut takes Art, and Sissy takes Spanish. Last Thurs. when I picked them up, Sissy told me she was having a Spanish quiz today and needed to study this weekend.
Now I should mention that Sissy is the more serious of the two when it comes to studying or being prepared for something. This is a trait she must have picked up from her father. Unfortunately for her, she DID get her short-term memory gene from me. What that means is when there's a deadline or a "thing-to-prepare-for" coming up, she's initially very gung-ho, to the point of not possibly being a child of mine. Then she quickly forgets all about it until, oh, the day of the event. THAT'S when she goes into panic mode .
So back to the Spanish quiz today. We had a busy weekend as always and I remembered the quiz, but knew we'd have plenty of time during school today to review . When we had finished her regular work for the a.m. , I casually mentioned we needed to review her Spanish vocabulary.
I don't think I can type the sound she made but you know the one. I call it screaming backwards -- you inhale sharply while making some sort of sound that means "OH NO!!!!!" I told her to calm down, we went over the material the teacher had given her to learn -- basic stuff like "how are you"? "I am well", etc. and I went off to do something else. When I came back through the room, she was intently reading one of her own books -- My First Thousand Words in Spanish."What are you doing"?, I asked. "You're going to confuse yourself".
She looked at me as if I had just asked her name and answered with the frustration of someone who's being asked to state what should be clearly obvious to the asker. "I'm studying for my Spanish quiz!!"
???? "What do you think you're going to be asked on your quiz?" I asked her.
"I don't KNOW!" she tormentedly shot back .
So I told her that I felt sure her teacher would only quiz her on material she had been taught, and she felt much better.
There are just certain things you assume your kids know. But sometimes their own little misguided ideas take root in their minds . It never occurred to me that she would think she was responsible for knowing 1000 vocabulary words when the teacher had only covered 20.
It makes me wonder -- what else does she have her own mistaken ideas about?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
I think it would be pretty fun to be a fly on the wall in your house. Your kids sound like they are so much fun!
What a funny story! I linked to this post in my last post that was inspired by your story. Thanks for telling!
Kathy,
I would hate for anybody to be a fly on the wall at my house. Then I couldn't be selective about what they knew went ON at my house!
But thank you!
My middle son is like that.. he just worries so...
God bless,
Sallie
Post a Comment