Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Statcounter Induced Madness

I'm not one who lives and breathes by the statcounter. At first I was, but I've come a long way since my Sixteenth Post, and while knowing others read my blog occasionally is wonderful and motivating, it's not the reason I do what I do here.

Still.....it's nice to be able to go to statcounter and see where my readers are coming from, or why I may have more traffic on any one day than another. Allison linked me after I passed her the Blogging Friend Award, which explains why I've received some hits that came from her blog readers.

It's also fun and amusing to see what Google search phrases have led people to my blog. The most frequent one has been some variation of "children sitting quietly in church", which relates to a post I made awhile back on the topic. Other searches have nothing to do with anything on my blog, such as "control freak in old age" and "butterflies in church". I bet THEY didn't hang around long:o)

If one has visited my blog more than a few times, I can usually figure out who they are, IF they've ever left a comment, When I see hits from Yuma, Arizona I know Sallie's been here. The ISP in Maine has got to be Marie, and if Montgomery, Alabama pops up, it means Kathy came by today. I know where Hadias is too, but she doesn't disclose that info on her blog, for safety reasons, so I respect that.

What's maddening is figuring out everybody else. I don't mean one-hit wonders fromTawain, or Australia. I mean people I know in person, who have told me in person that they visit my blog, but have never left a comment so I don't know exactly when they visited.

It drives me crazy to see my hometown on the statcounter , and NOT know who it is. Is it Donna from church? Lisa? No, not Lisa... I think she reads me from work because her company name shows up sometimes on the stats. Mom? No, wrong ISP. My pastor? He TELLS me he reads me, and I guess I have to believe him, but he lives in a neighboring town, which I have NEVER seen on my statcounter. On the other hand, it will sometimes show a visit from my Mom as coming from New York, New York! What's up with that?

And who are you Spartanburg, South Carolina???? And I know you've been here Winter Park Florida! Why don't you guys come out and introduce yourselves ?? It's keeping me awake at night.

OK, not really. But I WOULD like to know because......well.....just because.

8 comments:

Kathy said...

It's really funny that you would post about this subject right now. See, I just added one of those to my blog this past Friday and I have been so intrigued with looking at the info there. I've hardly been able to read blogs because I've spent all my time trying to figure who came from what and where. I was also mortified when I saw that it puts what city I'm from because I thought I was being so discreet by only telling my state! ha! Little did I know that everyone already knew I was from Montgomery.

Christie said...

When I installed Technorati I read that it's only about 50% accurate with location...often it's somewhere close, but not always. So I guess that's why it would show your mom in New York sometimes. I don't understand it much at all, but I look at my world map of where my readers are located and know that it's not exact. Still, it's really fun, huh?

Sallie said...

I can't believe I actually show up as Yuma for you :-) With sitemeter (my stat counter) it shows up as Scottsdale. That's like nearly 200 miles away...LOL..

However, my friends who are local and using cable instead of broadband hi speed (what I use) show up as Yuma. Very weird!

I like following stats..it is fun! It is also fun to use google analytics, too. Occasionally I'll say "Hello France, Germany, India, Japan, Australia, Canada, and the UK" just for fun to see who will answer me ;-)

God bless,
Sallie

Mikala B. Heykoop said...

I'm Spartanburg, SC! Not because I live there, but because we can only get dial-up here in the boonies of the Midwest, and there are no servers in our local calling area. So all my dial-up numbers are in other states. So now your stats will get REALLY confusing! Fun, huh? Sorry it wasn't someone more interesting. =)

Nina said...

I can't believe it's you, Allison. Not that you're not ineresting...quite the opposite in fact.... I just thought I had another reader. And thanks for the heads up about your dial up whereabouts. I won't waste any more time wondering about hits from ANYWHERE now since ANY of them could be you! By the way, today you were Bear, Delaware. The good thing for you is that at least you've got some location privacy that way. :)

The Proverbs Wife said...

This is so funny. I always check my stats and am amazed at all of the visitors all over the world. So many people vist but yet I get so little comments. Where does it say that I'm from? I don't mind. Just curious.

Nina said...

Hadias,
I tried twice to e-mail you but they both came back.
Statcounter shows your visits come from Reston, Virginia. At least it shows visits from there that correspond with times you've commented. Is that anywhere close to you?

The Proverbs Wife said...

Reston,VA would be about 6 hours from me. Thanks. I was just curious. Also have also had the same prolem when trying to email people through blogger. It comes back saying undeliverable.

I wonder what's up with that? Anyhow my email is still the same scentreprenuer@aol.com