Friday, February 8, 2008

Funny Butterflies

As I recently commented, my kids' attempts at humor are usually corny, slapstick, Looney Toons type jokes that make me wish for a cane to appear and pull them offstage.

Ironically, when they're not campaigning for laughs, when they're just being themselves without trying to be funny..... that's when they make me laugh the most.

To illustrate my point, I give you two recent vignettes from our home.



Vignette #1

Sissy: Mommy, when I grow up, do I have to be a lady ? I mean like, wear make-up and stuff?

Me (ignoring the impulse to more clearly define "lady' and opting for the short answer) :

No, you don't ever have to wear makeup.

Sissy: Oh, good....... because I really want to be an astronaut.

???

Who knew wearing make-up and being an astronaut were mutually exclusive??
And we call ourselves liberated, ladies?

Vignette #2

Sissy, recently sick with a fever of 101, cracks a joke that she is extremely proud of, but that nobody else gets.

"You're delirious," I tell her.
"Umm, I think you mean hilarious," she kindly corrects me.

She really thinks I used the wrong word - and there it is. In that moment, she is indeed, obliviously hilarious.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

They are funny! Did I ever tell you that my youngest sisters kids are 8 and 5? An 8 year old girl and 5 year old twins, boy and girl makes for a lot of laughs when they are around. Your kids make me think of them because they are close to the same ages. I think I'll tell my sister to start reading your blog because I know she'll relate.

sister sheri said...

CUTE! Thanks for sharing these precious moments... wish I had written more down from my son when he was young...

Nina said...

Kathy tell your sister to come on by. We can trade butterfly stories!

Sheri - it's never too late to write down what you can still remember. The grandkids may enjoy reading it someday.