Thursday, February 7, 2008

Me And the Band: A Road Story

So it's the last song of the show right? We sound better than ever tonight. Me and the band, we know each other so well, we're in such a harmonious groove, we don't think at all, we just play, we just feel it man.

So after the second chorus, I step out to do my solo, the part my fingers have been itching to do all night. They attack the strings of my Les Paul Epiphone like they have a life all their own, like if I could detach myself from my hands and walk away, they would still know what to do, because it's all they were meant to do.

I recently learned a new slide technique and when I try it out the crowd goes insane. The energy in the place is palpable, the freakin ROOF is threatening to come off, and at the peak of my solo, just for a moment, the essence of time itself seems suspended in mid-air.

Then, in the distance , I hear somebody scream ---

"That was FUN Mommy, let's do it again!"

I shake my head to get some focus and slowly look around. I'm in our playroom. They've done it to me again.

"We're SUPPOSED to be picking up TOYS!" I yell, waving the Fisher-Price electric guitar around my head menacingly and chasing them around the room. They run away, shrieking with giddy little-girl laughter.

It is the most beautiful music in the world.

5 comments:

Kathy said...

I think your kids should be writing a blog about YOU! Have they picked up your comedic talents?

sister sheri said...

Thanks for the chuckle!

Nina said...

I'm not sure it's comedic talent so much as shameless attention-seeking, but thanks! I'm a lot more reserved in person, and you can see the more reflective side of me in posts like my last one, but when my crazy bone starts itching, there's nothing like the combination of relative anonymity and a potential audience to get me going.
But too much about me! The kids -- they're still funniest when they have no idea they are. When they TRY to be funny, I always feel like I'm in a cartoon, it's all slapstick,overexaggerated anything-for-a-laugh stuff.
Oh no. I just described my blog!

The Proverbs Wife said...

It's so refreshing to read about the fun that you are having being a mom. Mothering should be fun. Great imaginative play.

Anonymous said...

Well written article.