Friday, February 22, 2008

Writer's Block / Reading Blitz

I'm finding myself at an unfamiliar loss for words lately, at least in the written form.

It's not that I have nothing to write about. It's just that writing a post that I'm happy with takes an agonizing amount of time, even for the shortest of entries.

I think it's because I don't speak, or even think in the same language I write. Yeah, it's all English. But it's different. I have to take the thoughts in my head and translate them to a more polished, less bumpkin English before my tapping fingers throw them out for all the world to see.
And I'm not a quick translator. This paragraph alone has taken me 15 minutes.

And I'm getting irritated that I'm spending time away from my book.

Oh, my book. I'm reading Vienna Prelude by Bodie Thoene, a Christian historical fiction writer who my aforementioned friend Linda told me about.

I don't know how long it's been since I read fiction that wasn't children's literature. I really don't have time to be doing it now, but it is an indulgence I am loving. I'm totally taken with pre - World War II Germany and Austria and a young half Jewish violinist whose family is caught up in one terrible unfolding event after another.

I used to read for pleasure so much more. The last several years, so much of my reading is homeschool related, I had forgotten what it was like.

I curled up on the couch today with my book and a blanket, and a cup of Russian tea, just like old times. I almost forgot I even HAVE a computer. Though this particular book and I had never met before today, it was a sweet and nostalgic reunion. And the best part is, it's not over.

I'm only halfway through the book!

2 comments:

Linda said...

I warned you it was a good book.

Kathy said...

I love reading a good book!