Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Fun with Spanish

Allison at Olive Plants inspired me with her Rosetta Stone post.

I've always had an interest in teaching the girls a foreign language at a young age because the young child's mind is said to absorb information like a thirsty sponge.

However, it is also said that no matter how fluently you learn to read a language, if you don't regularly use that language in conversation, chances are not good you will ever fluently SPEAK it. For that reason and others, the girl's foreign language instruction has been rather spotty.
I was glad to get Sissy in a group Spanish class this year.

Still, we've had a good time 'playing around' at learning Spanish over the last couple of years.
Here's how it started.



Peanut received a free book in the mail every month for awhile and one month, to my delight the book she got was bilingual. It was called "Ana Cultiva Manzanas" and was about an apple farmer named Annie. It told how Apple Farmer Annie grew apple trees and how she picked ripe apples and all the things she did with her apples. She made applesauce and apple pie and apple juice and she loaded her truck up with apples and took them to the farmer's market where she sold apples. And because the word "apples" is used about twenty times on each page, and the word "manzanas" is used about twenty times on each of the Spanish pages, it was easy to figure out that "manzanas" is Spanish for "apples".



I know, my brilliance is blinding. Anyway that little book sparked an idea to check out Hispanic books in the children's section of the library. I think we've done it a total of three times in the last two years. Remember, I said it was spotty. We've checked out very simple children's books in Spanish, books that we either own in English, or have read so many times that we don't need to own it because we have it memorized . Knowing the English version ver batim, along with the repetitive nature of children's book's makes it not too difficult to translate individual words.



For example, in the book , "Eres tu mi Mama?" (Are You My Mother?) we read:

El gatito no era su madre. We also see a picture of a kitten.

On another page we read:

La gallina no era su madre. Here we see a picture of a hen.

And suddenly you're Einstein. " Oh my GOSH! " you say excitedly. " El gatito means THE KITTEN!! And la gallina means THE HEN!! Isn't that exciting , girls?!?

"Girls?"

You look around and realize you're alone in the room reading a book written for a five year-old.
And your teenage son is standing in the doorway staring at you with an expression of mixed amusement and concern.

We have another Spanish book checked out right now -- "Huevos Verdes Con Jamon".
OK quick, what's the English title? By the way, it really bugs me that I can't type an accent mark or an upside down question mark when I need to.

Time's up! The English title is...................."Green Eggs and Ham".

"Ese Juan Ramon, ese Juan Ramon! No me gusto ese Juan Ramon!"
(falls over laughing) I just love that line.

8 comments:

Mikala B. Heykoop said...

You're killing me. Hey! Do you have the free Rosetta Stone demo CD-ROM? Pop it in if you do, and check out the Mandarin Chinese bit. "Green Eggs and Ham" would be stinkin' HILARIOUS in that language!!! Good book idea, BTW! I'll have to check it out. (Get it? I know. It's late.)

Nina said...

Yes we have it and when I put it in, the girls like to hop from language to language with such speed, they can't possibly be retaining anything. It really drives me crazier than their father's channel surfing. So we have done about 30 seconds worth of Mandarin Chinese and you're right it would be funny. I wonder what Sam-I-Am's name would be in Mandarin?

Sallie said...

That's so great!! I love the look your son was giving you.. I SO get that look in our house :-)

God bless,
Sallie

Christie said...

I'd love to teach my kids a foreign language or two. I've got some time, since they're still tackling English right now, but I'm going to check out your link in a second. I have the Rosetta Stone free CD rom too, and it looks like a really effective way to learn the language, especially the spoken language.
I'm thrilled that you asked me a technical question I can actually answer (I have so many of them myself...I feel so behind sometimes). First copy the URL for the link you want to add to your plogpost. Don't paste it anywhere yet, just copy it. When you're typing your blog post, just type the words you'd like to be the link (like "raising butterflies"). Highlight those words, then on the bar at the top (with Font, tT, b, i, etc.) you'll see a green globe with a chain link at the top. Click on it while your words are still highlighted and it will give you a place to paste the URL. You can turn a picture into a link that way if you want to, too. Just hightlight the picture before clicking on the green globe. Hope that helps!
And I would be honored if you added me to your blogroll. Thank you!

Nina said...

What do you know? It worked!!

Gracias Gracias
Mi amigo Marie!!

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei seu blog pelo google está bem interessante gostei desse post. Gostaria de falar sobre o CresceNet. O CresceNet é um provedor de internet discada que remunera seus usuários pelo tempo conectado. Exatamente isso que você leu, estão pagando para você conectar. O provedor paga 20 centavos por hora de conexão discada com ligação local para mais de 2100 cidades do Brasil. O CresceNet tem um acelerador de conexão, que deixa sua conexão até 10 vezes mais rápida. Quem utiliza banda larga pode lucrar também, basta se cadastrar no CresceNet e quando for dormir conectar por discada, é possível pagar a ADSL só com o dinheiro da discada. Nos horários de minuto único o gasto com telefone é mínimo e a remuneração do CresceNet generosa. Se você quiser linkar o Cresce.Net(www.provedorcrescenet.com) no seu blog eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso. (If he will be possible add the CresceNet(www.provedorcrescenet.com) in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Nina said...

After a little copy/paste/visit to Babelfish.com for a translation, it would seem the above comment was written in Portuguese not Spanish,and I'm a little fuzzy on this part but I think I just got spammed in Portuguese.

fercook said...

You totally got spammed in Portuguese. He says that your blog is interesting, and then goes on to talk about his company. Funny thing is, it's a dial-up service in over 200 cities in Brazil !
Can you delete that?
Anyway, I am a native spanish speaker, my daughter learned to speak english in daycare without us ever talking to her in english. We now moved to Barcelona, Spain, and she is catching Catalan at an impressively fast pace. I read somewhere that fMRI studies show that you learn languages in a different way before and after you are 8 years old (give or take). The difference is that when you learn it before you can speak it without any accent, and afterwards you always have an accent. Different areas of the brain work at different ages or something like that. Anyway, just to comment that, and to tell you that the best way by far for kids to learn a foreign language is to put them to play with kids speaking that language. It happens as if by magic.
Huevos verdes con jamos is such a great book and well done translation...we love it.