We are finally getting around to doing something I've wanted to do with the kids for years. We are going to try our hand at raising butterflies!
As pathetic as this is, the educational/fun potential of such a project has never been enough to motivate me. What it finally took was a realization that if we do this, there could actually be some relevance between my blog title and my blog. I know, that cheapens the whole thing, doesn't it? But not to worry, the kids will never know that it wasn't their need for nature study but her own selfish cyberhobby reasons that drove their mother to the educational supply store in search of a Butterfly Garden kit , or that these same reasons prompted her to mail off the coupon for caterpillars when it usually takes an overdue notice to prompt her to mail off ANYTHING.
And you know, as long as I'm at it, I might as well let the kids get involved. The caterpillars came yesterday. There are five. According to the package they will have all formed chrysalids (?-not sure about the plural) in 7-10 days. We'll then transfer them to a larger container made from netting and in another week or so, we should have Painted Lady butterflies.
The most difficult part for the next few days will be keeping the girls, especially Peanut, from terrorizing the caterpillars. Peanut likes to watch animals that move. She's an impatient child. Caterpillars sometimes go for long periods without moving. If you've ever seen Finding Nemo, and can recall the scene with the dentist's niece and the fish in the bag, you'll understand my concern.
To be continued.....
Sunday, September 30, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oooh...you should post some pictures when the butterflies... hatch, or whatever it's called. (= Sounds like a fun project!
We have wanted to do this too! I am glad you get to.. please share pictures if you can :-)
God bless,
Sallie
This sounds like a lot of fun as well as educational. Yep, I remember the little girl in Finding Nemo.
Nina, you have received an award! You can pick it up at
Totally Fab Award
Post a Comment