Tuesday, September 18, 2007

............Of Playground Rhymes and Roger Miller Songs

(and is there really a difference?)

Just got home from afternoon classes , and of all the academic enrichment she had experienced in the last two hours, the thing Peanut couldn't even wait until we got to the car to tell me was this:

"Guess what (Friendly Little Classmate) taught me? It's SOOO funny!! Listen. It goes, 'Trick-or-treat, smell my feet, give me something good to eat! If you don't, I don't care, I'll pull down your underwear!" (Cracks up laughing)

Ah, yes. Good old socialization.... that element of childhood
development so very critical for learning the really important things -- like "trick-or-treat, smell my feet". And now, Peanut was going to be spared untold problems that plague adults who never learned it.

My little exercise in mental sarcasm was rudely interrupted when Peanut proudly said,
" Yeah, and you want to know what I taught HIM? "

Uh-oh.

She told me, and with some effort I supressed an absolutely wicked laugh, Yes, it gives me a good measure of satisfaction to know that it's highly possible Friendly Little Classmate's parents are being serenaded right this minute with these immortal words:


Dang me, dang me
They oughta take a rope and hang me
High from the highest treeeeeeeee
Woman would you weep for me?
Doodoodoododoodoo!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

I can remember being that way when I was a kid. I drove my mother crazy singing those kinds of songs!

Sallie said...

We sang that song this summer on our road trip.. it's fun traveling with grandparents because they teach the kids all the really COOL songs..LOL

God bless,
Sallie

Hanley Family said...

Oh, what a joy. My children have a particular fancy for the Batman one sung to the tune of Jingle Bells.

But I taught it to them. I just wish I could teach them to only sing it at Christmas.