Wednesday, January 23, 2008

100 Things About Me Vol. 2

I thought if I broke it down into a 4-part series, it would be manageable to write, and perhaps not too insufferably long to read.

#26 - 50

26. I like crossword puzzles.



27. However, I'm not great at it. I can only solve the New York Times puzzle by playing on a team of 3 - myself, my husband, and our friend Google.



28. I can't get into Sudoku - I've tried.



29. I hate it when I hear the word Appalachia pronounced incorrectly. There is no long "a" people!



30. I'm almost always for the underdog, even if my kid is on the other team.



31. My favorite drink is Sierra Mist.



32. For the first time ever, I'm excited about the Superbowl.



33. But only because Tom Petty's playing the halftime show. I don't even know what teams are playing.



34. I have a degree in nursing.



35. My first major was broadcasting.



36. I thought it would be cool to be a DJ.



37. I switched majors after a semester spent working at the campus radio station made me realize I didn't really want my voice to be heard on radios everywhere. I just wanted to play music all day.



38. I have to be holding a hot cup of caffeine before I can be nice in the morning.



39. I've lived on the same street nearly all of my 40 years.



40. I was madly in love with Shaun Cassidy when I was 10.



41. I wonder where he is now.



42. I was well into my 20's before I realized there was no little drummer boy in the biblical account of the birth of Jesus. (That one was really hard to admit).



43. I'm partial to even numbers. I only like odd ones if they're multiples of five.



44. My second child was born on the 19th of the month, after 24 hours of labor, at around 5pm. I still regret not holding out another 7 hours so her birthdate would be the 20th - an even number AND a multiple of 5.



45. No, I've never considered getting therapy.



46. I'm a semi-regular sufferer of insomnia.

47. As such, I've spent many hours mindlessly surfing the Internet, acquiring an impressive collection of inane pop culture trivia, like the fact that Weird Al Yankovic gave his daughter my name.

48. I've had a myspace page since before I started blogging.

49. I started it to keep tabs on some kids I know .

50. I'd like to get rid of it but I can't bring myself to, because some old friends have contacted me through myspace and I'd probably lose touch with them completely if I gave it up.


Click here for #1 - 25

7 comments:

Kathy said...

I love Sudoku, but I'm no good at crossword puzzles. Tell me the correct way to pronounce Appalachia? I think I put a long a in it. The little drummer boy may not be in the Bible but there is a cartoon about it and guess what the drummer boy's name is? Aaron.

cube said...

Wow, what a smorgasbord of stuff. I hardly know where to start...

I love puzzles of all kinds except Sudoku. To me, it's just a process of elimination that anyone can figure out given a large enough eraser. Not challanging enough.

One of my pet peeves is when people say jew-lery instead of jewelry. I don't hear the word
Appalachia often, but it's nice to know I know how to pronounce it properly.

Insomnia, yes. Facebook, no.

Um, I forgot the rest ;-)

Nina said...

Kathy,
Appalachia should rhyme with
"right back atcha " ... I've also heard the "ch" incorrectly given the "sh" sound, usually when preceded by the incorrect "ay".
Phonetically spelled it would look something like this:
Wrong: Appalaysha, Appalaycha
Right: Appalatcha
Can you tell I've spent way too much time thinking about this? :)

Cube - It's myspace. I know, that' s so last year :)

Anonymous said...

Try salt solution to deter hair problem. I cannot guarantee this but it works in making paper..........which without the salt involved in its production, can knock you across a room from static build up.

Nina said...

Thanks Teddy!

Anonymous said...

Hi! I read your blog after stumbling across Kathy's (googling "Trust His Heart" lyrics). I too am a Christian homeschooling mom, and loved reading your thoughts. I feel like I know you pretty well after reading 75 random items about you. Thanks for sharing, and for the laughs. =)

I was compelled to look up Appalachia, because, being a Michigander, I've always pronounced it Ap-pa-lay'-sha. Webster's dictionary offers not only a written pronunciation, but an audible one as well! Here's what the dictionary had to say:

Ap·pa·la·chia
Pronunciation: \ˌa-pə-ˈlā-chə, -ˈla-chə, -ˈlā-shə\

So I don't feel too bad. I'll change the sh to a ch, and at least I'll be on track w/ Mr. Webster...

I also have a myspace page. My husband is a youth director and we wanted to encourage and keep an eye on our teens. My username is merbit...I'd love to be myspace friends...if you decide not to cancel, that is. I love making new friends!

Just,
Dana

Nina said...

Dana, I'm glad you stumbled over here! Next time I'm on myspace I will look you up and add you, though I don't know when that will be - the blog atmosphere suits me much better!
I'm not surprised that Webster's gives the incorrect pronunciation of Appalachia. The Appalachian mountains do run as far north as New York state, so I'm sure northern Appalachian people pronounce it with the long 'a' which would be correct up there. But it would be nice if Webster's gave an alternate pronunciation, since most people in the South use the short 'a'.