Today the girls had a Keepers At Home meeting. It's a club similar to Girl Scouts but more scripturally based. The name is taken from a verse in Titus in which older women are told to train younger women to be keepers at home.
Usually the girls work on learning some type of skill that will be useful to them when they have their own homes. Today was different. Because it was Martin Luther King Day, much of the meeting focused on Dr. King's leadership in the civil rights movement. The girls who go to public school seemed to already know most of what was being taught. I hadn't yet made the girls aware of who he was, and I really wasn't planning to until they got a little older, but I was glad they got to learn about him today.
The coolest part was that we crowded around a computer and watched the entire "I Have A Dream" speech on youtube. I think it was the first time I've ever heard the whole thing, although I've heard the end of it many times and it still gives me chills.
Oh wait. The girls did learn a skill today - one they've been attempting unsuccessfully for a couple of months. They did not learn this skill at Keepers At Home. In fact, I threatened them with their lives if they even THOUGHT about showing off this skill at Keepers At Home, as it's not really the kind of thing that befits little godly-young-ladies-in-training.
But they're both so proud that they can now............... do arm farts. Their father was greeted with a chorus of them when he came home from work.
So ......... today they learned something historically and socially significant, and something useless and mildly offensive. I guess it's been a well rounded day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Nothing like a well-rounded education. I think they should take up burping on demand next ;-)
Umm....no.
I have to draw a line SOMEwhere.
Post a Comment