Saturday, November 10, 2007

Southern Breakfast -- Grits or Gravy?

My blogger friend Kathy at Kathy's Klavier is an Alabama girl, and asks in her recent post, which of her readers eat grits and if not, what they eat for breakfast.

In my part of Tennessee, grits aren't considered a staple breakfast food. Actually I think people here eat breakfast much like people everywhere -- in a hurry, standing up, a bowl of cereal if you have time for that even, or something equally quick.

That said, a more traditional breakfast around here would be eggs, bacon or sausage, biscuits, and gravy. My mother made this more than I do, and I'm sure her mother made it more than she did. Everybody's just so rushed anymore, we don't make time to do big breakfasts. Occasionally I will make biscuits and gravy with bacon and eggs for supper.

Now, back to grits -- I keep instant grits here because Peanut LOVES them. When she had her tonsils taken out, all she wanted to eat was grits. Sissy used to love them, but has become rather finicky lately and doesn't eat them as well any more. Brother and Keith don't like them.
When we go to Cracker Barrel restaurant, both of them always get breakfast, which always includes grits. Peanut usually ignores her meal and eats their grits.

Me - I like them only if they're prepared to my specifications, which even I can't do sometimes, so I don't eat them often. But when I do, they have to be:
A. very hot
B. topped with unhealthy amounts of butter
C. eaten with very crispy bacon and very dry toast

I prefer to crumble the bacon up in the grits, and then eat alternate bites of toast and grits, wiping up the last bit of grits in the bowl with my last bite of toast. And it bugs me more than it should when it doesn't work out exactly like that.

4 comments:

Kathy said...

I enjoyed your grits or gravy post. I love biscuits and gravy! My mom used to once in a while make a corn meal gravy -- yummy!

Nina said...

Cornmeal gravy? Sounds interesting... I've never heard of it - sounds like a cross between grits and gravy LOL.

Sallie said...

I love gravy!! I can't stand grits, or oatmeal either but my children and husband love oatmeal. One or two might like grits but not many...

Just pass the biscuits and gravy is all I have to say ;-)

God bless,
Sallie

Nina said...

Ditto on the gravy Sallie. My husband and son love it too but neither of the girls eat gravy.